BUSINESS Business Resources
Links to local small business resources
- Winthrop University's Small Business Development Center of SC
- York County Economic Development
- York Technical College
Links to regional small business resources
- Catawba Regional Council of Governments
- Central Piedmont Community College
Links to state small business resources
Links to national business resources
- SCORE Counselors of America's Small Business
- US Small Business Administration
Small Business Resources for Minority-Owned and Women-Owned Businesses
The Small Business Association has an SBA 8(a) Minority-Owned and Women-Owned Business Directory. You can call them at 1-800-845-8420 or (803) 765-5377 to get registered. Thomas Register also has a classificiation for minority and women owned businesses that can be searched under "Company Type." Go to the "Promote Your Business" tab on the home page or call them at 866-585-1191 to get the registration process started.
There also is a South Carolina Minority Business web site that mentions the following programs and certifications:
8(a) Business Development Certification (SBA) -- SBA's business assistance program for socially and economically disadvantaged businesses. To apply, contact SBA District Office at (803) 765-5377 or www.sba.gov.
Governor's Office of Small & Minority Business Assistance (OSMBA) -- Certifies socially and economically disadvantaged minority and women businesses in accordance with Article 21 of the State Procurement Code. Call (803) 734-0657 or visit www.govoepp.state.sc.us/osmba.
HUBZone Empowerment Contracting Program -- Provides federal contracting opportunities for qualified small businesses located in distressed areas. Contact SBA to determine eligibility at (803) 765-5377 or visit www.sba.gov.
ISO 9001:2000, ISO 14001, and ISO 18001 -- Establish and update your management systems to meet the guidelines of ISO 9001:2000, ISO 14001, and ISO 18001. Contact Vivian Harper at the S.C. Manufacturing Extension Partnership at (803) 252-6976, ext. 229 or visit www.scmep.org.
PHOENIX (MBDA) -- National minority contract matching database. Majority companies may enter available contracts through MBDA website at www.mbda.gov or call (404) 730-3300.
PRO-NET (SBA) -- SBA's Pro-Net is a one-stop procurement shop for users and an Internet-based database of information on more than 171,000 small, disadvantaged, 8(a) and women-owned businesses. Call (803) 765-5377 or visit www.sba.gov.
S.C. Department of Transportation -- Certifies minority businesses specifically seeking contracts with the state dealing with transportation. Call (803) 737-1318 or visit www.dot.state.sc.us
Small Disadvantaged Business Program (SBA) -- For more details, call (803) 256-3212 or visit www.desainc.com
Women's Business Enterprise National Council -- National certification of women's business enterprises. Call (202) 872-5515 or visit www.wbenc.org.
*Continuing Education Resource Matrix - Click here to download your copy.
10 Sites to Help Entrepreneurs Succeed
- Resources for entrepreneurs by state: www.gaebler.com/resources-for-entrepreneurs-by-state.htm
- Entrepreneurs Great Web sites:www.gaebler.com/web-sites-for-entrepreneurs.htm
- National Business Incubation Association:www.nbia.org
- Social networking site list: www.careeroverview.com/blog/2009/100-best-social-sites for entrepreneurs
- Business link to the U.S. government: www.business.gov
- Kauffmann Foundation of Entrepreneurship: www.entrepreneurship.org
- Industry statistics and financial ratios: www.bizstats.com
- Market research: www.nielsen.com
- Financing business sites: www.businessfinance.com
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office: www.uspto.gov